12/19/2007

My chapter in the new Hillel LGBTQ Resource Guide

This week's Forward has an article about a new Hillel LGBTQ Resource Guide. I was the author of the chapter of Being an Ally (although I still believe that the whole Resource Guide is about being an ally). I think I am the only Rabbi who participated in the project who identifies as an ally.

The sources below are mentioned in my section but not included. I posted them during the Hillel Professional Staff Conference where I presented on my section.


Sources in ‘Being An Ally’ Section, The Hillel LGBTQ Resource Guide

Rabbi Bruce Bromberg Seltzer

Mishnah Sanhedrin 4:5:

משנה. . . לפיכך נברא אדם יחידי, ללמדך שכל המאבד נפש אחת מישראל - מעלה עליו הכתוב כאילו איבד עולם מלא, וכל המקיים נפש אחת מישראל - מעלה עליו הכתוב כאילו קיים עולם מלא. ומפני שלום הבריות, שלא יאמר אדם לחבירו אבא גדול מאביך, ושלא יהו המינים אומרים: הרבה רשויות בשמים. ולהגיד גדולתו של הקדוש ברוך הוא, שאדם טובע כמה מטבעות בחותם אחד - כולן דומין זה לזה, ומלך מלכי המלכים הקדוש ברוך הוא טבע כל אדם בחותמו של אדם הראשון - ואין אחד מהן דומה לחבירו. לפיכך כל אחד ואחד חייב לומר: בשבילי נברא העולם.


For this reason was human created alone, to teach you that whoever destroys a single soul (of Israel), Scripture imputes [guilt] to him as though he had destroyed a complete world; and whoever preserves a single soul (of Israel), Scripture ascribes [merit] to him, as though he had preserved a complete world. Furthermore, [the first human was created alone—ie. singularly] for the sake of peace among people, that one might not say to another, ‘My father was greater than yours,’ . . . again, to proclaim the greatness of the Blessed-Holy One: for if a person strikes many coins from one mould; they all resemble one another, but the Supreme Sovreign of Sovreign, the Blessed-Holy One, fashioned every human in the stamp of the first human, and yet not one of them resembles another. Therefore every single person is obliged to say: ‘the world was created for my sake!’


Genesis 1:27


בראשית פרק א פסוק כז

ויברא אלהים את האדם בצלמו בצלם אלהים ברא אתו זכר ונקבה ברא אתם:


God created the first human in God’s image; God created it [the First Human] male and female.

Genesis 5:1

בראשית פרק ה פסוק א

זה ספר תולדת אדם ביום ברא אלהים אדם בדמות אלהים עשה אתו:

This is the book of the Generations of Adam on the day God created Adam; Adam was made in the image of God.


Genesis Rabbah 24,7

בראשית רבה (וילנא) פרשה כד

ר"ע אומר (ויקרא יט) ואהבת לרעך כמוך, זה כלל גדול בתורה, שלא תאמר הואיל ונתבזיתי יתבזה חבירי עמי הואיל ונתקללתי יתקלל חבירי עמי, א"ר תנחומא אם עשית כן דע למי אתה מבזה, בדמות אלהים עשה אותו.


Rabbi Akiva said: “Love your neighbor as your self,” this is a Great Rule of Torah: that [a person] should not say, ‘Since I was embarrassed, I will embarrass my friend with me;’ ‘since I was cursed, I will curse my friend with me. Rabbi Tanhuma said: “If one did this, know who you embarrassed—[one] made in the image of God.


No comments: